Re: updatedb.mlocate

On Sat, Apr 09, 2022 at 03:40:41PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On Saturday, 9 April 2022 12:04:18 EDT Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> > So around midnight I am seeing a burst of activity,  which sometimes
> > interferes with whatever else I happen to be doing at the time.
> > Looking at the process list,  I see the above-referenced come and go.
> > I didn't want this,  and it's not apparent to me how to deal with it.
> >
> > How do I find out where this is invoked,  so I can get rid of it?
>
> It used to be in a root crontab, where you could delay it to say 3 am.
> But I've no clue where its at in the later versions since systemd took
> over.

It's in cron.daily.

unicorn:~$ ls /etc/cron.daily/
apt-compat*  dpkg*           man-db*   popularity-contest*
aptitude*    google-chrome@  mlocate*  spamassassin*
calendar*    logrotate*      ntp*      sysstat*

So, you could change when the cron.daily job runs, but you can't easily
postpone just one part of cron.daily.

unicorn:~$ grep daily /etc/crontab
25 6	* * *	root	test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily )

I don't remember whether I moved that to 06:25 myself, or what.  But
anyway, that's where you would change it.