Re: updatedb.mlocate

On Sat, Apr 09, 2022 at 09:26:58PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> Two of my machines have their database files dated at midnight or one
> minute after.
>
> Possibly because updatedb is run by a systemd timer, not cron.

??

unicorn:~$ ls -l /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db
-rw-r----- 1 root mlocate 28983797 Apr  9 00:00 /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db

?!

unicorn:~$ less /etc/cron.daily/mlocate
#! /bin/bash

set -e

# skip in favour of systemd timer
if [ -d /run/systemd/system ]; then
    exit 0
fi
[...]

Wow.  That's incredibly annoying!

unicorn:~$ less /lib/systemd/system/mlocate.timer
[Unit]
Description=Updates mlocate database every day

[Timer]
OnCalendar=daily
AccuracySec=24h
Persistent=true

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

... it doesn't even say when it runs?  What silliness is this?

Oh well.  It clearly isn't bothering me (I'm usually in bed before
midnight, though not always), so I never had to look into it.  I'm sure
someone felt it was a "good idea" to move things from perfectly normal
and well-understood crontab files into this new systemd timer crap that
nobody understands, and that I should respect their wisdom, but I don't
see the advantages at this time.