Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Sunday, 10 April 2022 06:06:31 EDT tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 05:46:35AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Then why, after a decade and change of bitching about it because it
> > insists on putting a 169.254.xx,yy address in ones routing table that
> > only removing avahi fixes, has it not been fixed?
>
> This would be an IPv4 link-local [0] address. Correctly naming
> things is always the first step to taking control over them:
> casting spells and that ;-)
>
> Setting that up is zeroconf's [1] job, which, AFAIK, is actually
> done by the avahi daemon. I can't check it myself, because my
> box has no avahi.
>
> But if you know how the thing's called, you can throw your spells
> at a search engine (hopefully not the one of survellance capitalism,
> but I disgress ;-) and find things like [2]. It tells you how to
> convince different systems to not do that; under Debian, this would
> be putting AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL=0 into some
> /etc/default/avahi-daemon.

Then whyintarnation does it not say that in what serves as a man page?

> No need to rm it. But if it satisfies you, you're your box's boss :)

Exactly.

> I just don't install it.

And how do you accomplish that? Its automatically installed AFAIK. And
once installed, apt will not remove it without destroying the install. rm
or chmod -x seems to be the only way, and nothing complains.

> Cheers
> --

Take care and stay well Tomas.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.