Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 07:08:36AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On Sunday, 10 April 2022 06:06:31 EDT tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> > be putting AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL=0 into some
> > /etc/default/avahi-daemon.
>
> Then whyintarnation does it not say that in what serves as a man page?

Sometimes systems become... complex. I guess (just guess) that avahi-daemon
has some command-line parameters to manage that. Those would be in the
man page.

The /etc/default hierarchy is rather a Debian-specific things to provide
start-up options to system-wide services (and also to the boot process).
Those are picked up from there.

> > No need to rm it. But if it satisfies you, you're your box's boss :)
>
> Exactly.
>
> > I just don't install it.
>
> And how do you accomplish that? Its automatically installed AFAIK. And
> once installed, apt will not remove it without destroying the install. rm
> or chmod -x seems to be the only way, and nothing complains.

There are things depending on avahi. I don't need them. I've to jump
through some hoops to keep systemd or dbus to be installed (but it's
manageable), but avahi hasn't ever tried, yet :-)

Current desktop environments won't like that, mind you. But I don't
particularly like them, either.

Cheers