Re: random usernames in attempts to break in to my machine?

On Mon, Apr 04, 2022 at 03:44:24PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On Monday, 4 April 2022 12:03:59 EDT tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 04, 2022 at 11:51:47AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

[...]

> Tomas, I've had fail2ban installed and running since wheezy.  I don't
> believe that in all that time, I have ever seen it trigger to do
> anything. Then you recommend it but none of the advice on how to make it
> actualy work seems to be any more helpfull than the man page which talks
> in swahili slang dialect. To me, it seems like an over-hyped cycle
> stealer.

Sorry to hear that.

> So where might I find the info it takes to actually make it work as
> advertised?

Here, I must defer to others having more experienced folks. All I know
(yet) is what it does, that I'd write something similar, and that there
are people out there who know what they're doing and use it.

Perhaps things change in half a year, when I've come around deciding
whether banning things based on their IP address is worth it at all
(I see such a diversity in source IPs that for all practical purposes,
each one could be as good as single-use: then, the fail2ban model
loses its appeal. But measuring still has to be done).

> Thank you. Take care and stay well.

Likewise :)

Cheers