Re: GNOME brightness controls have no effect on brightness

On Mon, Apr 04, 2022 at 03:42:46PM -0400, Juan R.D. Silva wrote:

[...]

> Looks that I failed to deliver the point in my post.
>
> All 4 steps are correct. And I most certainly can happily change the value
> in the /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness file to whatever I want.
> The problem is it does not have any effect on the actual/physical screen
> brightness.

Hm. That seems an important clue.

> The change of the value in the /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
> only results in the slider in Brightness settings and other related GUI
> controls being carefully and precisely re-positioned to reflect the new
> value in /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness.
>
> This is why there was a rant. Looks that like in GNOME moving the sliders
> around is the only goal. Well, that's been achieved. Greetings to the devs.
> :-) Sorry for another one. :-)

Guessing from the clues you give here, I'd venture the hypothesis that
Gnome isn't to blame this time. Most probably it is some lower level
problem, like a graphics card driver bug/missing frature.

Cheers