Re: random usernames in attempts to break in to my machine?

On Mon, Apr 04, 2022 at 11:51:47AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

[...]

> I'd be watching the logs for the src address, and the 2nd time I saw the
> same address, add it to my iptables drop recipe. voila! [...]

That's what fail2ban does for you. Only that it looks at many logs in
parallel (your ssh, your mail server, etc.) and that it NEVER SLEEPS.
(No, seriously ;-)

Another advantage is that it can un-ban addresses after a while, so
that (a) your iptables don't grow without limits and (b) IP addresses
get a second chance (useful in the case they land in the hands of
an admin with a clue).

Since those attacks are pretty well distributed since a while (meaning
that they come from many random IPs), the real question is: do the
IPs repeat sufficiently to justify the (manual or automated) effort?

If an IP only repeats after, say, 10^4 or 10^5 attempts, I'd say "nah".
I'll check that, perhaps next weekend. Perhaps I'll post my conclusion
here, who knows :)

Cheers