Re: random usernames in attempts to break in to my machine?

On Mon, Apr 04, 2022 at 04:03:57PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Joe writes:
> > Generally, 'impossible' email names are aimed at situations where an
> > in-house SMTP server downloads domain email from an external POP3
> > server,
>
> I do exactly that, except for the bounce part.  All incoming mail
> regardless of recipient is handed to spamassassin which disposes of the
> spams quietly.  It then goes to mailagent for sorting.

Bouncing is bad: the bounce return address might be faked, and thus
you take part in a bounce spam scheme.

Silently dropping, as you do, is also bad. Not every mail your spam
recognizer tags is actually spam, and letting the sender know (s)he
hasn't reached you is the polite thing to do. You're making mail
unnecessarily unreliable, and this, in the end, will kill mail. Then,
we'll left with Facebook and Tiktok. We will weep. This is Bad.

The only credible action left is to decide while the SMTP transaction
is in process, and to terminate it early. Then, the upstream MTA will
notice that something went wrong.

Most MTAs these days support this option.

Cheers