Re: Why is debian Live (11.2.0) advancing the time on my windows laptop +5 hours? ...

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 11:22:07AM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Albretch Mueller wrote:
> > The use of a live DVD at times is
> > necessary, but part of very idea of going live is not altering, having
> > to alter the hard- or firmware, right?
>
> That's a valid point. It should be discussed on debian-live, i guess.
>
> Google shows me that the problem can be avoided with persistent systems:
>   https://itsfoss.com/wrong-time-dual-boot/
>   https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System_time
>
> But with a Live system the problem arises that it must know whether
> the hardware clock is meant to be set to UTC or to local time.

Perhaps, but perhaps it shouldn't /set/ the hardware clock. What seems
to be happening is:

 (0) hardware clock is set to local time (bad habits [1] die hard)
 (1) Debian Live boots, picks up the time (and defaults to
   "hwclock is UTC" (which makes sense, but is wrong)
 (2) somehow (can't be NTP, because the offset is too large)
   Debian Live gets hold of a "correct" time, sets it (possibly
   at boot).
 (3) Hardware clock gets adjusted accordingly.

If my analysis is correct (big if, I know :), step (3) would be
wrong for a live distro: don't touch persistent state!

Cheers

[1] Blame Microsoft for that gift that keeps giving