Re: Under each of these scenarios, what is the neatest and simplest way to manipulate the /etc/network/interfaces file?

In passing, I'm mystified by your quoting mechanism thinking
it appropriate to display my time header in Chinese time:
$ TZ='Asia/Shanghai' date --date='Thu, 24 Mar 2022 21:09:41 -0500'
Fri Mar 25 10:09:41 CST 2022
$

On Fri 25 Mar 2022 at 07:31:14 (+0100), Stella Ashburne wrote:

> Sent: Friday, March 25, 2022 at 10:09 AM
> From: "David Wright" <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>

> > Please elaborate on what you mean by "correct" in this context,
> > and also give your opinion on the correctness or otherwise of
> > this line:
> >
> >   source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d
> >
> > Without knowing the reasoning behind your statement, there's
> > not a lot more help I can give.
> >

> My distro is Debian 11
>
> Attempt #1
>
> When the /etc/network/interfaces file has the line
>
> source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

An eccentric choice. But no elaboration, opinion, or reasoning.

> Best wishes.

To you too. Over and out.

Cheers,
David.