Re: Under each of these scenarios, what is the neatest and simplest way to manipulate the /etc/network/interfaces file?

On Thu 24 Mar 2022 at 03:12:23 (+0100), Stella Ashburne wrote:
> From: "David Wright" <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>
> > On Sat 19 Mar 2022 at 03:14:54 (+0100), Stella Ashburne wrote:
> > >
> > > There are instances in which my machine is connected to a mobile hotspot. And in some situations, it's connected to a smartphone via USB tethering. And when I'm in the office, I may connect it to a LAN cable.
> > >
> > > Below are the contents of my /etc/network/interfaces file:
> > >
> > > # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> > > # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
> > >
> > > source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
> >
> > I would change this line to
> >
> > source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d
> >
> On Debian 11, the line
>
> source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
>
> is correct.

Please elaborate on what you mean by "correct" in this context,
and also give your opinion on the correctness or otherwise of
this line:

  source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

Without knowing the reasoning behind your statement, there's
not a lot more help I can give.

Cheers,
David.