Re: LinuxCNC on-non-Debian systems is probably unsupportable here [WAS: Re: its been done again. No network].

On Thursday, 24 March 2022 18:09:11 EDT Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 04:33:33PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

> > > That's these images here, I guess, of which you are speaking:
> > >
> > > https://raspi.debian.net/tested-images/
> >
> > No, this link came from a cnc'er, and leads to a google drive
> > download. With linuxcnc-2.8.2 already installed.
> >
> > > .
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> Random distribution with random provenance from an unknown origin,then:
>
> Can I commend to you: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
>
> As noted to you elsewhere, LinuxCNC is being maintained in Debian now -
> it's just not hit Debian stable yet.

And my friend, whom I'd promised a couple 64G u-sd cards to, about 5
months back before I lost both 2T seagate drives to the exact same
failure mode, they simply went off line in the middle of the night about
2 months apart and became invisible, 2 u-sd cards to boot his rpi4 and
run his big Cinci milling machine with, needed these cards 3,000 miles
west of me, last Saturday. With those drive failures I lost 24 years of
my history, which included how I did it for one of my machines a little
over 2 years ago. So now I'm trying to duplicate what I first did using
the raspi version of wheezy on an rpi3b. And I still don't have this
bullseye system doing more than half what the stretch system was doing on
pretty much the same hardware.  The main diff is that /home, which was
about a terrabyte on one of those dead 2T seagates, is now a 1.7T raid10
on SSD's. The other 2T that died, was my vtapes for amanda. Bingo, no
backups. And I catch it on this list for getting upset with seacrate for
putting a tech that wasn't ready for prime time on the market anyway?

> https://linuxcnc.org/2022/03/03/LinuxCNC-in-Debian/
>
> All the very best, as ever,
>
> Andy Cater

Take care and stay well Andy.