systemd.resolved problems

I've been having continual problems with postfix and errors in the mail log about unresolved  MX and A records. Not all the time but often enough to be annoying. I discovered postfix was using the systemd.resolved server for DNS.

I did some experiments with resolvectl and there were serious delays looking up sites or just plain failures. In comparison my bind9 instance never had a problem and returned instantly. ( systemd.resolved used the same forwarders as my bind9 )

I have now disabled systemd.resolved on several systems, removed the link /etc/resolv.conf, and either replaced it with a static file or allow NetworkManager write it after dhcp from an upstream ISP

In all cases there are ordinary DNS resolvers listed in /etc/resolv.conf

So far everything is working really well.

Is there any compelling reason to use systemd.resolved over ordinary DNS ? If not, why was it inflicted on debian?

--
Jeremy