Re: wpa_supplicant, was Re: iwd + systemd-networkd + resolvconf wrinkles

On Tue 22 Mar 2022 at 23:06:08 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Sat 19 Mar 2022 at 10:18:49 (+1100), Charlie wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 14:32:40 +0000 Brian wrote:
> >
> > > Regarding the installer: at present it provides an /e/n/i with wpa-*
> > > lines. Changing wpasupplicant to iwd in d-i would requir some work.
> > > No matter what the benefits of iwd are, I do not see that happening
> > > in the near future. wpasupplicant remians as useful as it always has
> > > been.
>
> It wasn't my intention to suggest displacing /e/n/i&wpa from the d-i.
> I only mentioned it to point out (a) that installing iwd is a
> conversion process if the d-i has been run wirelessly, and (b) that
> I know next to nothing about configuring or running wpa_supplicant
> because wicd just took care of it all.

My remark was more aimed at the iwd advocates who see it as a
replacement for the supplicant. Perhaps, in time, this might
happen. I hope I have made it clear I am very happy with what
iwd provides for my resource limited machines.

> > Interesting, because I have always used wpasupplicant but since
> > Bullseye has gone stable, have had this happen quite frequently:
> >
> > root@wilder:~# ifup wlp2s0
> > wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
> > run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return
> > code 1 ifup: failed to bring up wlp2s0
>
> It would be interesting to know why your wlp2s0 failed to come up.

Your debugging technique should help Charlie.

> For one of my systems in particular, it fails because the wifi
> happens to be hard-blocked when the system boots. It's very
> simple to unblock it: just by pressing a button on the front edge
> of the keyboard. (What a design cock-up.)

I have never encountered this and haven't any way of testing. My
initial thought would be to stick with using the button.

> Unfortunately, using systemd-networkd/ifupdown/wpa_s (and
> sysv/ifupdown/wpa_s in the past), it's not clear to me
> who's responsible for cranking up the network after I've
> pressed that button.

I also haven't any clear idea. At a guess, a kernel module acer_wmi
may be involved. 'modprobe -r acer_cli' could shed some light. (BTW
wmi is Windows Management Instrumentation, I think).

--
Brian.