Re: iwd + systemd-networkd + resolvconf wrinkles

On Thu 17 Mar 2022 at 23:40:28 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Wed 16 Mar 2022 at 22:40:07 (+0000), Brian wrote:

[...]

> > OTOH, the Debian iwd package
> > does not provide any integration with ifupdown
>
> Does iwd need ifupdown at all? It seems to be able to configure the
> interface itself.

No it doesn't and its DHCP inclusion plus the ability to use a static
IP are nice touches. All-in-all I could live with that if it was my
only requirement.

However, ifupdown integrates with guessnet and I have /e/n/i set up
for that. wpasupplicant is integrated with /e/n/i, so I have what is
quite a neat and useful roaming setup. The scripts doing this are
from Debian/Ubuntu developers, not from upstream. Perhas iwd will
acquire something similar in the course of time.

Regarding the installer: at present it provides an /e/n/i with wpa-*
lines. Changing wpasupplicant to iwd in d-i would requir some work.
No matter what the benefits of iwd are, I do not see that happening
in the near future. wpasupplicant remians as useful as it always has
been.

> > and no one as get has
> > published a GUI frontend for it.
>
> I get the impression that that would be seen as bloat.

No matter how straightforward and easy you and I see iwctl to be, there
are users who would benefit from such a frontend. One such is iwgtk,
which is not in Debian.

--
Brian.