>>   I do  not  understand this.
>
>>   Does the Debian package manager
>>   really download package information
>>   for  all  ~59,000  avaiilabel packages
>>   in anticipation that users will need it
>>   at sometime in the future ?
>>
>>   That would be suprising to me.
>
> Now you are surprised, and informed.

My linux-image-amd64 upgrade got mangled the other day so I was in
"man apt-get" and apt-cache looking for ways to coerce success (beyond
apt's recommended "dpkg --configure -a"). Found this and had intended
to eventually post here anyway:

apt-cache stats

Thought it might prove of interest for others, too, with respect to
seeing real numbers about the amazing volume of packages all
interacting together under Debian's hood. Concerning this thread, the
multi-megabyte sizes of the files under /var/lib/apt/lists reflect the
package numbers found via "apt-cache stats". I can still remember my
first ah-ha moment upon opening up one of those files and peeking in
out of curiosity years ago..

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *