Re: packages built with golang

Dan Ritter wrote :

> The package manager needs it.

  I understand this.

> Whether or not you want to see it
> is a different issue.

  I understand this.

> The data is already on your system, so
> there's no transmission happening.

  I do  not  understand this.

  I was under the impression that
  package information returned by ....

    apt-cache show some-package

  for packages that I have not installed
  would not be downloaded onto my system
  until I actually requested it.

  If that  is  the case then a transmission
  would be happening when one made
  such a request.

  Does the Debian package manager
  really download package information
  for  all  ~59,000  avaiilabel packages
  in anticipation that users will need it
  at sometime in the future ?

  That would be suprising to me.

  On the Debian Bullseye system that I'm currently using
  I only have a fraction of the available packages installed ....

    $ dpkg -l | wc -l
      2366

> You have options. Greg provided you with one.

  I understand this and the use of grep -v ....
  to supress output and fully appreciate the suggestion.

  However, in such cases as the long Built-Using examples,
  the so-called  information overload  has already ocured
  which might have been saved if a link had been provided
  instead.

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being