Re: Claws-mail Address Book Bug?

On Sun, 13 Mar 2022, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

On 3/12/22, Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 09:19:52 +1100
Charlie <taoquester@gmail.com> wrote:

	Discovered that when I looked for the mailing list on the net.
	I dare not say googled because there is some controversy about

IKWYM, but in most circles that word is still the 'go to' one as the verb
for "use a search engine"

I remember very early on where there was at least one headline that
said Google was considering court action over the use of its name as a
verb (copyright, trademark, etc):

https://blogs.illinois.edu/view/25/589

That never made sense because being repetitively used as a common verb
meant they had arrived, were mainstream at least with tech folks, and
received free publicity every time it occurred.

Cindy :)

likely the producers of Aspirin wouldn't like the producers of Tylenol advertising Tylenol as "the best Aspirin there is!"

oddly and from another angle, it used to be the case in German law that 'comparative advertising' was verboten: "any advertising which directly or indirectly identifies a competitor or goods or services offered by a competitor" says the write-up at <https://www.mondaq.com/article/10090/comparative-advertising--the-new-law>.

it is permitted now it seems.

anyway, I'm guessing (not having read the link) Google is aiming at competitors, not the general public.

f.

--
Felmon

Verbum sat sapienti.