Re: What should I put inside the file called wlan0?

On Tue, 1 Mar 2022, Greg Wooledge wrote:

On Tue, Mar 01, 2022 at 02:42:29PM +0000, Tim Woodall wrote:
My /etc/network/interfaces has:
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

Did you write this file yourself, or are you using something other
than Debian?  Just curious.

unicorn:~$ grep interfaces /etc/network/interfaces
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

I was going to say I almost certainly wrote it myself as this machine
has been continuously upgraded going back to the dark ages. However, now
I check every single machine uses this and I cannot see where I have
manually configured it. I use my own installer - and I now discover that
moinmoin is no longer in bullseye so my wiki-pages about it are all gone
:-(

But when I look at the ifupdown.postinst script for buster I see:
# Generic stuff done on all configurations
if [ "$1" = "configure" ] ; then
  # We don't need loopback interface definition anymore as
  # ifupdown handles loopback interface on its own from now
  if [ ! -f /etc/network/interfaces ] ; then
    if [ -z "$2" ]; then
      echo "Creating /etc/network/interfaces."
      echo "# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)" >
/etc/network/interfaces
      echo "# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:" >>
/etc/network/interfaces
      echo "source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d" >>
/etc/network/interfaces
    else
      report_warn "/etc/network/interfaces does not exist"
    fi
  fi
fi

So it looks like it changed for bullseye and as I have not installed a
machine from scratch for bullseye yet I've not seen the latest variant.