Re: getting a regular user to dump core when a program crashes

On 2022-02-28 at 11:35, Greg Wooledge wrote:

>>   i had accomplished the ulimit change already, but the lack of
>> the proper permission on the output directory meant that a core
>> file would not be generated.
>
> What is an "output directory"?  Core files are dumped in the process's
> *working* directory, which is "where you are when you run it".

By default, yes, that's the case. However, from songbird's original
post:

That appears to be a kernel parameter which defines the path and
filename of the core file.

I imagine that this was set in order to be able to specify a filename
other than the default, with relevant information about the dumping
process (and avoiding the problem of multiple such files overwriting one
another), and that the syntax of the kernel parameter in question is
such that you have to specify the full path to the file.

--
   The Wanderer