Re: Archiving on SD cards (was: Re: Archiving on optical media; was Re: Archiving content of a directory on a DVD-R.)

Monday, February 28, 2022, 2:52:35 PM, rhkramer wrote:

> On Monday, February 28, 2022 12:37:49 AM peter@easthope.ca wrote:
>> Backing data in a 4 or 16 GB SD card is a modest requirement.
>> PC Galore might have a drive in stock.  http://www.pcgalore.com/
> What has been your experience with reliability of SD cards for backup?

Mine has been bad. I have accumulated several dead SD cards, yet over many years, I can think of only one USB memory device failing.

USB and SD memory devices are based on similar (if not identical) flash technology, are they not?

Under this assumption, I'd guess that the USB interface is rather more robust than that found in SD cards. SD cards seem to be fine if installed and left there (IP cameras, dashcams, phones) but fail when handled. And yes, I am aware of ESD (electrostatic discharge) issues and take steps to minimize risk.

I wouldn't trust my data to SD cards.
--
Regards,
Chris