Re: getting a regular user to dump core when a program crashes

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Just put 'ulimit -c unlimited' into the appropriate dot file to put
> things back to how they used to be.
>
> This changed a *really* long time ago.  I don't know exactly when, or
> how.  It pissed me off too, but it's the norm now, because everything
> has been dumbed down for the common user.
>
> unicorn:~$ grep ulimit .profile
> ulimit -c unlimited		# Argh!  Since when does this default to 0?
>

> For me, .profile is the correct file, because I login on a console and
> use startx.  If you login via a GUI DM, some other file will be the
> correct one (possibly .xsessionrc but I haven't tested it).

did you miss this?

>> me@ant(14)~$ ulimit -a
>> real-time non-blocking time  (microseconds, -R) unlimited
>> core file size              (blocks, -c) unlimited

  i had accomplished the ulimit change already, but the lack of
the proper permission on the output directory meant that a core
file would not be generated.

  also, i wanted to make sure that all programs running would
be able to dump core upon crashing because i have some kind of
strange lock up going on and i'm not sure what it is coming
from.  so i want all processes for all users to be able to
be able to be recorded if it happens again.  just trying to
catch this if i can.  it happens once in a while.  not too
often.

  songbird