Re: getting a regular user to dump core when a program crashes

The Wanderer wrote:

>>>=20
>>>   i had accomplished the ulimit change already, but the lack of=20
>>> the proper permission on the output directory meant that a core
>>> file would not be generated.
>>=20
>> What is an "output directory"?  Core files are dumped in the process's
>> *working* directory, which is "where you are when you run it".
>
> By default, yes, that's the case. However, from songbird's original
> post:

> That appears to be a kernel parameter which defines the path and
> filename of the core file.

  yes!  i don't know which process is crashing to cause
the lockup.  it is nice if all core files from crashes are
located in one spot so i can find them without having to
hunt for them.  this may not really work if the process isn't
actually dumping core, but we'll see if i can figure out
which one it is.

> I imagine that this was set in order to be able to specify a filename
> other than the default, with relevant information about the dumping
> process (and avoiding the problem of multiple such files overwriting one
> another), and that the syntax of the kernel parameter in question is
> such that you have to specify the full path to the file.

  songbird