Archiving on optical media; was Re: Archiving content of a directory on a DVD-R.

    From: "Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net>
    Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 09:15:04 +0100
> Ouch. That's a "Combo" drive which can write only CD-R and CD-RW.
> With DVD media it can only do reading.
> That would be the job of an older project of mine:
>   http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/main_eng.html
>   http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/scdbackup-0.9.2.tar.gz
>
> Installation and configuration are some work:
>   http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/examples.html#configure
> (Back in 1999 a 650 MB CD-R was a respectable backup medium, competing
> with 500 MB QIC tapes and 1.2 GB DDS tapes.
> Nowadays i use them only for small backups and for software delivery.
> My bread-and-butter backup media are now "25 GB" BD-RE media. They are
> not much more expensive than DVD+RW. Only the prices of burner drives
> are significantly higher for BD than for DVD.)

My conclusion: invest in more recent hardware.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_recordable#Pricing

Backing data in a 4 or 16 GB SD card is a modest requirement.
PC Galore might have a drive in stock.  http://www.pcgalore.com/

Tips to select a drive welcome.

Thanks,                     ... P.

--