Re (2): Archiving on optical media

    From: rhkramer@gmail.com
    Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 09:52:35 -0500
> What has been your experience with reliability of SD cards for backup?

My explanation was ambiguous.  =8~|  The primary medium here is SD.
The backup is optical.

The oldest SD card I have was purchased about 2012.  The label was
NextTech. Purchased via eBay from a seller in Ontario or Quebec.  It's
been reformatted 2 or 3 times over the years and still works.  =8~)
Recently parts of some files disappeared or showed garbled
information. The card has served better than I expected.  Probably due
for retirement.  =8~)

Since 2012 I've purchased three Kingston 8 GB SDs.  Two are used in
mobile phones; one is system store in a OLPC XO 1.5.  Those SDs
continue to work with no apparent difficulties.

General policy.  Buy only name brands: Kingston, SanDisk, Lexar & etc.
Buy only from local businesses maintaining a reputation in the
marketplace.  Noname cards only waste time and money.

Regardless of reliability of a specific medium, data preservation
comes from a good backup system.  =8~)

Regards,                            ... P.

--
mobile: +1 778 951 5147
  VoIP: +1 604 670 0140