Re: My printer doesn't work for bullseye's cups

On Thu 24 Feb 2022 at 14:39:55 -0500, gene heskett wrote:

> On Thursday, February 24, 2022 1:08:26 PM EST Brian wrote:
> > On Wed 23 Feb 2022 at 18:44:37 -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> >
> > [...[
> >
> > > With all the crash and burn sessions I've had with bullseye, I'd have
> > > to go get the drivers anew from Brother if cups-everywhere can't do
> > > it.
> > It is possible it may yet come to that.
> >
> > > Is that what I have to do for this printer? FWIW No Brother printers
> > > show up at all in the ppd selection menu.
> > >
> > > Might be related:
> > > sane-find-scanner, run as root, finds the scanner in this MFC at:
> > >
> > > found USB scanner (vendor=0x04f9 [Brother], product=0x02f5
> > > [MFC-J6920DW]) at libusb:003:005
> > >
> > > but xsane can't find it. So both the printer and the scanner are on
> > > the injured list.
> >
> > Let's put scanning on one side for the time being.
> >
> > 1. Read the Release Notes for Debian 11.
> >
> > 2. Disconnect fro USB. It complicates matters.
> >
> I would much rather the installer was taught to iterrogate whats beyond
> an fdti serial adaptor, they are used to drive far more than braille
> interfaces, or make the installer as the user if they WANT the speech
> dispatcher and brltty. I don't, and the only way I've found to control
> all that BS is to edit their configs to send their screaming fits aboiut
> not finding brltty, to /dev/null.  Blaming the user for not disconnecting
> a usb tree that looks like a weeping willow is at best poor form.
>
> Then refusing to advise that user howe to legally uniinstall that crap
> just frosts the cake.  Fix the damned installer.
>
> As for my printer, I'll install the Brother drivers, they've Just Worked
> for over a decade now.
>
> > 3. Give
> >    avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
> >    avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
> >    driverless
>
> And what will that do, except further screw things up.
>
> Avahi is another of those unwanted "helpers". I've had to disable or
> uninstal it since wheezy because it insists on overwriteing the route to
> the network with bogus 169.xx.yy.zz numbers.
>
> > 4. avahi-browse is in the avahi-utils package.
>
> And have it wreck this installs host file based network? I think not.
>
> I originally asked how to get rid of brltty. And was ignored. No one has
> suggested a course of action except yet anothr install AFTER gutting the
> system of usb which would include the keyboard and mouse.
>
> Stop ignoring the users complaints and fix the installer, at the very
> least by asking the user if he wants it, and don't install it if he says
> no. I have no problem with aiding the blind, but make even him confirm he
> wants it before its made a permanent part of the install.
>
> Currently, if its enabled at install, and removed 30 minutes later, the
> system stops forever about 10 seconds into a reboot because it can't find
> it, but thats without any sign of a log saying why it won't reboot.  I
> did 4 installs proving that boot stall was that once I managed at get 4
> [...]

Years ago I resolved never to get involved with your printing syste. I
broke that resolution today because I thought you really needed help.
One lives and learns.

Your response has been the worst I have ever met from any user. It does
not addresss a single requested point for information. The questions
have been completely ignored. Basically, you haven't a clue what you are
doing regarding printing, so you construct a narrative to pull the wool
over users' eyes. This is your standard technique.

The response is also ill-informed, technically deficient, ignorent of
what is invlved on bullseye and dismissive. In short, it displays an
uderstanding of our printing system that is pathetic.

On the bright side: Your self-serving response makes you eligible for the
Piss Artist of the Year award.

--
Brian.