Re: packages kept back on Debian stable

 On Thursday, February 24, 2022, 03:52:21 PM EST, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

As you and I both install the generic kernel linux-image-amd64, we
would expect to have to use  apt-get dist-upgrade  whenever there's
a new kernel version (because a version number is included in the
package name, so it's a "new" package).

The other two are more unusual; so for example I have only needed
dist-upgrade once in two years on this buster system, last June.

I've just installed libopengl0 on my bullseye, but didn't require
libabsl20200923, perhaps (at first glance) because I don't have
those gir1.2* packages shown above.

But yes, always check with dist-upgrade whenever packages are held
back, and inspect the output.

And BTW, the more frequently you upgrade your system, the lower the
probability that you will hit three of these occurrences at the same
time. (The kernel upgrade was available before the end of January.)

Cheers,
David.

Thank you David, that is good to know.
Luben