Re: My printer doesn't work for bullseye's cups

On Thursday, February 24, 2022 1:08:26 PM EST Brian wrote:
> On Wed 23 Feb 2022 at 18:44:37 -0500, gene heskett wrote:
>
> [...[
>
> > With all the crash and burn sessions I've had with bullseye, I'd have
> > to go get the drivers anew from Brother if cups-everywhere can't do
> > it.
> It is possible it may yet come to that.
>
> > Is that what I have to do for this printer? FWIW No Brother printers
> > show up at all in the ppd selection menu.
> >
> > Might be related:
> > sane-find-scanner, run as root, finds the scanner in this MFC at:
> >
> > found USB scanner (vendor=0x04f9 [Brother], product=0x02f5
> > [MFC-J6920DW]) at libusb:003:005
> >
> > but xsane can't find it. So both the printer and the scanner are on
> > the injured list.
>
> Let's put scanning on one side for the time being.
>
> 1. Read the Release Notes for Debian 11.
>
> 2. Disconnect fro USB. It complicates matters.

I would much rather the installer was taught to iterrogate whats beyond
an fdti serial adaptor, they are used to drive far more than braille
interfaces, or make the installer as the user if they WANT the speech
dispatcher and brltty. I don't, and the only way I've found to control
all that BS is to edit their configs to send their screaming fits aboiut
not finding brltty, to /dev/null.  Blaming the user for not disconnecting
a usb tree that looks like a weeping willow is at best poor form.

Then refusing to advise that user howe to legally uniinstall that crap
just frosts the cake.  Fix the damned installer.

As for my printer, I'll install the Brother drivers, they've Just Worked
for over a decade now.

> 3. Give
>    avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
>    avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
>    driverless

And what will that do, except further screw things up.

Avahi is another of those unwanted "helpers". I've had to disable or
uninstal it since wheezy because it insists on overwriteing the route to
the network with bogus 169.xx.yy.zz numbers.

> 4. avahi-browse is in the avahi-utils package.

And have it wreck this installs host file based network? I think not.

I originally asked how to get rid of brltty. And was ignored. No one has
suggested a course of action except yet anothr install AFTER gutting the
system of usb which would include the keyboard and mouse.

Stop ignoring the users complaints and fix the installer, at the very
least by asking the user if he wants it, and don't install it if he says
no. I have no problem with aiding the blind, but make even him confirm he
wants it before its made a permanent part of the install.

Currently, if its enabled at install, and removed 30 minutes later, the
system stops forever about 10 seconds into a reboot because it can't find
it, but thats without any sign of a log saying why it won't reboot.  I
did 4 installs proving that boot stall was that once I managed at get 4
out of 2+2.  You may take it that yes, I'm unhappy. This was far more
annoying than it was years ago when I installed stretch. I had forgotten
about that, but that didn't lead to 15 or 20 reinstalls like this did
either.

No Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis