Re: reinstalls now about 15, no fix for unwanted brltty. or speech synth announcing every keypress

On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 08:23:34PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> There's no point in playing ping-pong. You're the one with the
> problem and, unless you can make yourself understood, no one can help.

This.

After several days of this saga, here's all of the information I've
managed to glean out of Gene's posts.

Gene has one, or possibly more than one, computer which is exhibiting
some kind of problem.  We don't know the make, model or even the
arch of this computer.  We might know which version of Debian it's
running, but if so, it's not easy to find in the noise.

One symptom of the problem is that the machine's performance degrades
over time, to the point where the response to typing (we don't know
WHERE he's typing) is lagged by several seconds.  Eventually he is
forced to reboot.

The /var/log/syslog file is also growing at a speed which suggests an
issue, but rather than READ the contents of the file to see what the
problem is, Gene simply complains about its size, and seeks ways to
stop the logging of the errors which might reveal the actual issue.

Apparently the machine also has brltty installed, and for some unknown
reason, Gene has decided to focus on this.  Gene has decided that
removing brltty would be a good idea, but when he does so, the machine
becomes unable to boot.  Exact symptoms were not specified.

The machine apparently has something physically attached to it which is
recognized as a Braille device, which prompts the installation of the
brltty package during the Debian installation.  Rather than removing
said physical device, or even *identifying* what it is, Gene insists
that the installer has a bug.

Did I miss anything?