Re: reinstalls now about 15, no fix for unwanted brltty. or speech synth announcing every keypress

On Sat, 19 Feb, 2022 at 3:04 PM, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
On Sat 19 Feb 2022 at 11:27:37 (-0800), Gene Heskett wrote:

> The problem is that the installer insists on activating both brltty and the speech synth for every key press. Or in some cases I have not been able to corrolate, a mouse click is a loud ding.

That's hardly surprising. Whenever I strike a key, I get a glyph on
the screen, so I assume the unsighted require similar feedback.

> I did find a place in the desktop config to mute that channel of the speech synth, but that does NOT stop it from logging a 6 line error in the syslog for every key pressed or auto repeated.

If you're talking about the syslog that ends up in
/var/log/installer/, big deal. For verbosity, it's
hard to beat the partman log, even when you barely
touch the partitioner during installation.
(I pre-partition disks before starting the d-i.)

Not THAT syslog, which isn't there, but its with /var/log/syslog, the main deal.

This is an example of 2:27 hours:min uptime from the initial reboot of the install:

gene@coyote:~$ uptime
15:14:20 up  2:27,  1 user,  load average: 0.16, 0.16, 0.16
gene@coyote:~$ ls -l /var/log/syslog
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 801049 Feb 19 15:14 /var/log/syslog
gene@coyote:~$

Already 800+ kilobytes from a fresh start. It will be 4 megs tomorrow at this time. and by the time its up to 8 megs, keyboard press to display time might be 30 seconds, which IMO is unusable.

If the size of these two files embarrasses you, just
archive them and delete them when the installation is
done. Rocket science.
No its not, its ignoring the problem.

> I have spent around 5 hours looking thru every nook and cranny of the bios for a way to turn brltty off, but there is NO mention other the disabling the mobo's serial port and that also stops the reboot at around 10 seconds, with no further action from anything but the front panel rest button.

The BIOS? I thought the idea was to not install the brltty
package in your final system, and just mute it in any way
you can find, during the installation process.

The theory is in found a braille tty device somehow, and the installer automatically sets it up. And id you remove brltty, the package, it hits that point in the boot and freezes, stopped as I've now typed so often I'm doing it from muscle memory.

> There is no timeout and continue, it just stops. What is so hard to understand about that?
> The sob stops booting and the ONLY rescue is the RESET button.

Are we back on the subject of "stop"? I've already covered that
in a previous post. Period.

And you are ignoring my attempts to clarify what I mean by stopped.

"period" all you want David. its what I meant, its frozen at that display forever, or until the reset button is pushed.

The screen is frozen at its current display, with a blinking cursor on the next line, till the reset button is pushed, or hell freezes over.  There is no next. Even with the argument to make systemctl very noisy. It outputs more about what its doing up to that point but does not report what its trying to do that stops the boot at that point.

I still don't understand your refusal to take what I write as the literal truth. I tried to take a pix to post, but my cameras auto focus doesn't work on this monitor.  All I got was a 5 megabyte blur. Top of the line Cannon camera.

Cheers,
David.

No cheer, Gene.