Re: reinstalls now about 15, no fix for unwanted brltty. or speech synth announcing every keypress

On Sat 19 Feb 2022 at 12:44:01 (-0800), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb, 2022 at 3:04 PM, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat 19 Feb 2022 at 11:27:37 (-0800), Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > The problem is that the installer insists on activating both brltty and the speech synth for every key press.
>
> Not THAT syslog, which isn't there, but its with /var/log/syslog, the main deal.

OK, so not in the installer.

> This is an example of 2:27 hours:min uptime from the initial reboot of the install:

> -rw-r----- 1 root adm 801049 Feb 19 15:14 /var/log/syslog
>
> Already 800+ kilobytes from a fresh start. It will be 4 megs tomorrow at this time. and by the time its up to 8 megs, keyboard press to display time might be 30 seconds, which IMO is unusable.
>
> If the size of these two files embarrasses you, just
> archive them and delete them when the installation is
> done. Rocket science.
>
> No its not, its ignoring the problem.

Well, you /can/ ignore the size problem, as log rotation will
compress it away. (The more repetitive the log, the better.)

But the latency problem is a new one: we were only told of the noise before.

But really, I'm lost. If the installed system won't boot beyond
15 seconds, how do you cut and paste an uptime of 2½ hours?

> The theory is in found a braille tty device somehow, and the installer automatically sets it up. And id you remove brltty, the package, it hits that point in the boot and freezes, stopped as I've now typed so often I'm doing it from muscle memory.

I don't know what you mean by "remove brltty, the package".

I think you have to find a "softer" way of "removing" brltty's
actions. Examples:

AIUI brltty is a daemon, so you can stop/disable/mask/whatever
it, in the usual ways. You should be able to do this before
you even boot into a new installation. You just have to make
the correct symlinks in /etc/ (pointing to /dev/null), but
writing /target/etc/ where you would write /etc/.

I /think/ that even if the d-i sets up brltty very late in the
installation (like it does for adding users and rewriting /e/n/i),
it shouldn't remove your symlinks because it has no reason to know
that you have created them.

Or you could modify /etc/brltty.conf and set logging to
emergency level. Or set its speech engine to external
and set /usr/local/bin/externalspeech to nowt.

Another method might be to override udev's rules file so that
the purported braille device is not detected.

There are many ways to neuter it without nuking it.

> And you are ignoring my attempts to clarify what I mean by stopped.

There's no point in playing ping-pong. You're the one with the
problem and, unless you can make yourself understood, no one can help.

> I still don't understand your refusal to take what I write as the literal truth.

It's the literal truth that, at this instant, I'm typing into
a keyboard. But that's useless information. For a report to be
useful, you have to write it not for yourself, but for someone
who is unable to observe all the things that you can see:
what you do and what it prints are a starting point, but you
know very well that there are other invaluable observations.

For example, you say your system has hung. Can you ping it?
Can you ssh into it? Is the fan running? Fast? (Ie, is it
looping or waiting.) And so on. You're not writing a diary
entry, but for your invisible readers.

> I tried to take a pix to post, but my cameras auto focus doesn't work on this monitor.  All I got was a 5 megabyte blur. Top of the line Cannon camera.

The normal way is to focus on the edge of the monitor to
give it something to focus on, then depress the shutter
button half-way, to lock in that setting while you shift
the POV to the text on the screen. (The exposure also
gets locked in.) Take the picture by pressing the button
directly from that half-way position.

Cheers,
David.