Re: missing dependencies

On Saturday, February 19, 2022 8:52:05 AM EST Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 04:41:46AM -0800, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Got yet another CF, repo has missing -dev packages, specifically
> > openssl-dev
> *sigh*
>
> unicorn:~$ apt-get -s install libssl-dev
> NOTE: This is only a simulation!
>       apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
>       Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
>       so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading state information... Done
> Suggested packages:
>   libssl-doc
>   libssl-dev
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Inst libssl-dev (1.1.1k-1+deb11u1 Debian:11.2/stable,
> Debian-Security:11/stable-security [amd64]) Conf libssl-dev
> (1.1.1k-1+deb11u1 Debian:11.2/stable,
> Debian-Security:11/stable-security [amd64])
>

> Instead of asking us, "Hey guys, I'm trying to install openssl-dev, but
> there's no package by that name.  What's the correct name in Debian?"
> you just jump to the conclusion that the "repo has missing -dev
> packages".
>
> This is part of the reason why you keep having problems, I suspect.
>
> .

Same story, wash rinse repeat for ncurses-dev.
apt just installed it, AFTER apt-file refreshed its cache, synaptic-
>reload(ed) several times could not find it, even hand scrolling thru the
lib listings, So 'splain to me why synaptic, fully reloaded, could not
find either of those packages??? I wasted hours hand scrolling thru the
listings and I couldn't find them, and niether could synaptic. But apt-
file complained of an empty cache, and when updated found them both
exactly where I and synaptic was looking.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis