Re: Mounting NFS share from Synology NAS

On 2/2/22 07:36, gene heskett wrote:

Sounds like how my network grew, with more cnc'd machines added. But I
was never able the make MFSv4 Just Work for anything for more than the
next reboot of one of the machines.  Then I discovered sshfs which Just
Does anything the user can do, it does not allow root access, but since I
am the same user number on all machines, I just put whatever needs root
in a users tmp dir then ssh login to that machine, become root and then
put the file wherever it needs to go. I can do whatever needs done, to
any of my machines, currently 7, from a comfy office chair.
Stay well all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

I second the sshfs approach.   I use it between several Debian servers and have been happy with the results.  Once setup in the fstab a click in a GUI or mount command on the cli mounts the remote server on a directory specified in the fstab.

A sample of a line in the fstab (check docs for more options):

sshfs#root@172.16.0.xxx:/   /mnt/deb-test  fuse  user,noauto,rw    0       0

The user at the remote system is root in this example.  Not a good idea unless you are the only one who can login to your system.  I use ssh keys always.  If they are created without a password sshfs won't ask for one when it is mounted (I need this for my backup system Backuppc).  I even use sshfs to access a Digital Ocean droplet I have over the internet.

The current NAS you have might work with sshfs if their ssh server supports SFTP.

--

...Bob