Re: Mounting NFS share from Synology NAS

On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 6:49:38 AM EST Anssi Saari wrote:
> Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> writes:
> > I'm unclear on how NFS v4 works.  Everything I've read about it in
> > the
> > past says that you have to set up a user mapping, which is shared by
> > the client and the server.  And that this is *not* optional, and *is*
> > exactly as much of a pain as it sounds.
>
> I've never done that, as far as I remember. NFS (NFSv4, these days)
> mounts in my home network use autofs but I haven't done anything there
> either specifically for NFS of any verstion. I remember there was some
> weirdness at some point with NFSv4 and I didn't bother with it much. I
> had maybe two computers back then so not much of network. But over the
> years my NFS mounts just became NFSv4.

Sounds like how my network grew, with more cnc'd machines added. But I
was never able the make MFSv4 Just Work for anything for more than the
next reboot of one of the machines.  Then I discovered sshfs which Just
Does anything the user can do, it does not allow root access, but since I
am the same user number on all machines, I just put whatever needs root
in a users tmp dir then ssh login to that machine, become root and then
put the file wherever it needs to go. I can do whatever needs done, to
any of my machines, currently 7, from a comfy office chair.

> Access for me is by UID. Service is by the kernel driver or in the case
> of zfs, the NFS service it provides. I've thought about setting up
> Kerberos but haven't gotten around to it. One thing is, I don't know
> if Kerberos would work with the NFS service zfs provides? No big deal
> either way though.
>
> > I'm looking at <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NFSv4Howto> for
> > example and there's discussion back and forth on the page about how
> > the user mapping is not working as expected, and try this and that,
> > and see this bug....
>
> It's a wiki by random people. Last updated in 2017, looks like. Did you
> think it has particular relevance to Debian or NFS today?
>
> .
Stay well all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)