Re: Mini server hardware for home use NAS purposes

On 3/2/22 5:42 am, Henning Follmann wrote:

I'd suggest a Raspberry Pi 4B. The requirements you listed elsewhere
would make this a cheap and workable alternative. The only issue is
that any SATA disks would have to be run through a USB 3 port. Using an
SSD might mitigate any lag. I use one of these with a laptop drive in a
Geekworm case to be the web server on my LAN. My wife an I have NFS
and Samba access to the drive as well. You can run Raspberry Pi OS (a
Debian derivative) on it. Matter of fact, I think you can run the
various media server packages on such a rig as well.

And we can do one better:
the raspi compute module and the cm IO board.
here you will get a PCIe socket which then can take up
a SATA controller.

My home server is a nanopi M4V2 with an NVME drive main drive. The boot partition is on an SD card but everything else is on an NVME drive.

It has a fan but never gets hot enough to turn it on. Instead the CNC case acts as a large heatsink. In summer the room temperature is over 30C but there are no thermal problems.

O/S is straight Armbian with no tweaks. This makes it more compatible with mainline Debian than Raspberry Pi OS is.

Another advantage of the M4V2 over a Pi 4 is four USB-3 ports. With the USB-3 it would be very easy to implement a fast RAID array.

https://www.androidpimp.com/embedded/nanopi-m4v2-review/

--
Jeremy