Re: trying to get bookworm net going on an rpi4

On Monday, January 24, 2022 2:38:08 AM EST Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 06:22:40PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > And I just noticed this is an arm64 build, I need an armhf, where can
> > I get that from?
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> In the mail where I replied to you last night, I pointed out it was an
> arm64 build. Debian builds 64 bit for the Raspberry Pi 3 and 4:
> Raspberry Pi Foundation buid 32 bit for all Raspberry Pis -
> irrespective of processor - to allow some backwards compatibility.
> They do things differently there - that's OK.
>
> Short answer: As far as I can see: you can't unless:
>
> a.) You go back to Raspberry Pi OS Lite - and deal with the Raspberry
> Pi userland and kernel - and level of support.

Which for me, exists only thru apt. I'm subscribed, but blocked from
posting on their forum. Their loss.

> b.) You build it yourself - using the same scripts as Gunnar does - but
> I would advise spending a time familiarising yourself with them _and_
> talking to Gunnar. No guarantees that this will work.
>
> c.) You build something else yourself - again, no guarantees.
>
> As ever, you're out on the very edge of anyone else being readily able
> to support you. There was someone suggesting building and maintaining
> native Debian packages for LinuxCNC. I don't know how far that got
> and I suspect they'd only be for amd64 architecture.

Nope, the LinuxCNC folks and me have been doing it for quite some time
now.

Sorry to disappoint, but I've been building debs of LinuxCNC master on
the armhf, or downloading it from the buildbot since back in the rpi3b
days. Usually from the buildbot, but if its jammed it takes me around an
hour to build it on a 2gig rpi4b working against an SSD. I also have one
of my x86-64 machines setup to do that. Not at all difficult to generate
my own .deb's and install them with dpkg.  As for bleeding edge, I play
the part of the canary in the coal mine, reporting problems before others
get stung, but we have good coders, I've only failed twice in around 3 or
maybe 4 years now, But I'm not one of the good coders, I do it all with
bash scripts.  Sometimes twice a day when the git commits are fast &
furious.

> Building realtime pre-emptive kernels and getting them to run on a Pi 4
> - that's deep magic and you might need to find a Pi 4 expert from
> among the Raspberry Pi Foundation folks - their 64 bit OS is a rough
> beta at the moment, I think.

That may be, but debians arm64 is also rougher than a corn cob.
But I'm running the armhf full version of buster on that pi4 and it Just
Works with all the eye candy you'll want. Uptimes are until I unplug it
from the ups. Cheap $35 ups, and it lasts long enough to start the
generac I put in years ago to make sure Dee's oxygen generator had power.

And they'll block you from posting to their forum forever if you ask
about realtime preempt kernels a third time, they do NOT support, nor
allow any such conversations on their forum.

As for the deep magic Andy, the only thing I had to invent to put a
realtime kernel on a pi, was how to install it, the foundation does not
share enough info to allow that to be made into a deb. So I've been doing
it from a 24 megabyte tarball for around 3 years now.  You can get that
file from my web page in the sig if you know where to look. But its
getting a bit long in the tooth now, its a 4.19.71-rt24-v7l+ kernel,
latency-test says about 12 microseconds unless firefox is running at the
same time. firefox is a pig. But we all know that ;o)

> All the very best, as ever,

Take care & stay well Andy.

> Andy Cater

Cheers, Gene Heskett.