Re: trying to get bookworm net going on an rpi4

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 5:43:49 PM EST Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 04:08:34PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > So what is the official, works in bookworm every time, way to totally
> > kill ipv6, making it use ipv4 for everything?
>
> You don't need to; having IPv6 active doesn't cause any problem even
> if you don't have a default route that supports IPv6. If it does
> cause a problem then there is a misconfiguration to be solved. You are
> wasting your time and introducing more places where you can make a
> configuration error resulting in yet another of your megathreads¹.
>
> However, if for your own eccentric reasons you insist:
>
> # echo 'net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1' >
> /etc/sysctl.d/disableipv6.conf

And thats backwards from setting it in the /proc tree, there a zero in  a
long path to disable_ipv6 disables it after an /e/i/networking restart.
And I just noticed this is an arm64 build, I need an armhf, where can I
get that from?

> will disable it from the next boot.
>
> You can use:
>
> # sysctl --system
>
> to re-apply all sysctl configs immediately, so disabling IPv6
> without needing to reboot.
>
> > This ought to be in a faq somewhere. Except everybody has their own
> > method. :(
>
> The first google hit for "debian disable IPv6" is:
>

> https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/debian/how-to-disable-ipv6-on-de
> bian-9-ubuntu-16-04.html
>
> which includes the above method. It's not a great page but it does
> contain that info.
>
> So even this highly unusual requirement has a very easy to find
> solution.
>
> Regards,
> Andy
>
> ¹ Your decision to use Debian testing seems likely to generate some
>   more of those threads. But I expect you won't be persuaded to
>   stick with stable.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis