Re: hostname is being reset, killing net on reboot

On Sat 22 Jan 2022 at 19:07:35 (-0500), The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2022-01-22 at 18:38, gene heskett wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
>
> This is the line which contains the directives involved.
>
> The 'files' directive tells your system to check local files first; the
> list of files involved is in the FILES section near the end of 'man
> nsswitch.conf', and /etc/hosts is in that list.
>
> The 'mdns4_minimal' directive tells your system to check "multicast DNS"
> first; I'm not familiar with the details of this, but Google should be
> helpful. The [NOTFOUND=return] tag says - I think - that if this check
> returns a report that the lookup was successful but that no match was
> found, the system should return that result and stop checking.
>
> The 'dns' directive tells your system to check the DNS system proper.
> Given that this is after the [NOTFOUND=return] tag, as far as I can see
> this should never be reached, but I presume it's there for a reason; my
> best guess is that mDNS will usually not be available, so the check will
> return UNAVAIL, which (per the man page) will by default tell the system
> to continue to the next check (which is this one).

Rather than its not being available, it shouldn't even try with mDNS
unless the name ends in .local, so it will skip to dns.

This is what catches people out when they think that .local is a good
choice for some random LAN, rather than one from the recommended list:
.corp, .home or .mail.

Cheers,
David.