Re: firejail: changing Ethernet network adapter name is breaking Firefox profile

On Sat 22 Jan 2022 at 10:00:34 (+0100), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 08:28:34AM +0100, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Lu, 17 ian 22, 22:43:49, piorunz wrote:
> > >
> > > Problem is, every now and then, Ethernet adapter name changes, from
> > > enp5s0 to enp6s0 for example.
> >
> > Those names are supposed to be stable.
>
> Hahaha :)
>
> Actually, they're supposed to be /predictable/.
>
> Now assume the following situation: you've got just one USB port (Apple,
> I'm looking at you). Your Ethernet adapter is a dongle hanging off it.
> You now realize you need some USB storage to do your backups (you make
> backups, don't you?). You go to the shop, buy a USB hub, stick it into
> your port, and stick your Ethernet adapter into it, so now you have some
> more free USB thingies.
>
> *Poof*, your Ethernet device name changes, since, by default [1] it's
> named after the path in the USB device tree leading to your device.
> Don't forget to stick your Ethernet dongle into the same port
> afterwards. Else... *poof*.
>
> So... predictable, yes. Stable... is in the eye of the beholder.

> [1] https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/systemd.net-naming-scheme.7.html#NAMING
>     (search for "Table 2" there: gah, why don't people provide anchors

That doesn't tally with my experience. Two paragraphs before Table 2 is:

       ID_NET_NAME_MAC=prefixxAABBCCDDEEFF
           This name consists of the prefix, letter x, and 12
           hexadecimal digits of the MAC address. It is available if the
           device has a fixed MAC address. Because this name is based on
           an attribute of the card itself, it remains "stable" when the
           device is moved (even between machines), but will change when
           the hardware is replaced.

which describes what I observe here.

> Me? I've decided that the whole schema is far too Rube Goldbergesque for
> my needs. I have "net.ifnames=0" in my Linux boot commandline (via
> /etc/default/grub) and made sure nothing messes with things after boot.
>
> The day this humble laptop has more than one Ethernet (or wlan) adapter,
> I'll cope with it.

It's not as if you're given no choice in the matter.

Cheers,
David.