Re: firejail: changing Ethernet network adapter name is breaking Firefox profile

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 08:28:34AM +0100, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Lu, 17 ian 22, 22:43:49, piorunz wrote:
> >
> > Problem is, every now and then, Ethernet adapter name changes, from
> > enp5s0 to enp6s0 for example.
>
> Those names are supposed to be stable.

Hahaha :)

Actually, they're supposed to be /predictable/.

Now assume the following situation: you've got just one USB port (Apple,
I'm looking at you). Your Ethernet adapter is a dongle hanging off it.
You now realize you need some USB storage to do your backups (you make
backups, don't you?). You go to the shop, buy a USB hub, stick it into
your port, and stick your Ethernet adapter into it, so now you have some
more free USB thingies.

*Poof*, your Ethernet device name changes, since, by default [1] it's
named after the path in the USB device tree leading to your device.
Don't forget to stick your Ethernet dongle into the same port
afterwards. Else... *poof*.

So... predictable, yes. Stable... is in the eye of the beholder.

Me? I've decided that the whole schema is far too Rube Goldbergesque for
my needs. I have "net.ifnames=0" in my Linux boot commandline (via
/etc/default/grub) and made sure nothing messes with things after boot.

The day this humble laptop has more than one Ethernet (or wlan) adapter,
I'll cope with it.

Cheers

[1] https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/systemd.net-naming-scheme.7.html#NAMING
    (search for "Table 2" there: gah, why don't people provide anchors