Re: 8 -> 9 update changing things

On Tuesday 11 January 2022 08:18:27 am Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 01:15:05PM +0100, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Lu, 03 ian 22, 14:02:05, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> > > In the one that was running to start with,  the command line shown to
> > > me in system monitor includes "daemonize=no".  I would guess that to
> > > be the problem,  but why is that in there?
>
> You need to rewind quite a few years of history for a full answer to
> this.

(Much interesting reading snipped for brevity...)

> If you'd like more details on this, I recommend JDEBP's web site.  You
> can start at <http://jdebp.info/FGA/system-5-rc-problems.html>.

Much interesting reading there,  too...

(snip)

> In some cases, you simply stop using the -bd option, or its equivalent.
> In other cases, maybe you have to patch the daemon to offer a new
> option which says *don't* create a child process -- just run normally.
>
> That's what you're seeing here with Pulse Audio.

What I'm not clear on at this point is why the instance of it that's started by the system doesn't seem to work, while the one that I start manually at some point later on does.

(snip)

> Welcome to Unix.

I've run nothing but linux since 1999,  starting with Slackware 4.0,  and upgrading to newer versions from time to time.  Early on I had no sound card in the machine that I was using,  and did not implement a GUI to start with either.  Adding those manually was a real interesting exercise,  one that I'm happy to not have to repeat with newer hardware and software.  Debian came a little later,  only in the past few years,  and in many respects I'm still getting to know it.

I still would like to know why the one instance of pulseaudio works and the other one doesn't.  And why some things seem to be included in what gets started up that I don't see any need for -- things like exim,  bluetooth stuff (there is _no_ bluetooth hardware on this machine),  and some other stuff.  Any recommendations as to where I might poke at this to clean things up would be appreciated also.

-
M Dakin