Re: 8 -> 9 update changing things

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 11:03:55AM -0500, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 January 2022 08:18:27 am Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 01:15:05PM +0100, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > > On Lu, 03 ian 22, 14:02:05, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
>
> What I'm not clear on at this point is why the instance of it that's started by the system doesn't seem to work, while the one that I start manually at some point later on does.
>
> (snip)
>
> > Welcome to Unix.
>
> I've run nothing but linux since 1999,  starting with Slackware 4.0,  and upgrading to newer versions from time to time.  Early on I had no sound card in the machine that I was using,  and did not implement a GUI to start with either.  Adding those manually was a real interesting exercise,  one that I'm happy to not have to repeat with newer hardware and software.  Debian came a little later,  only in the past few years,  and in many respects I'm still getting to know it.
>
> I still would like to know why the one instance of pulseaudio works and the other one doesn't.  And why some things seem to be included in what gets started up that I don't see any need for -- things like exim,  bluetooth stuff (there is _no_ bluetooth hardware on this machine),  and some other stuff.  Any recommendations as to where I might poke at this to clean things up would be appreciated also.

Exim: because "something" needs to deliver mail locally for cron jobs etc.
Maybe not the best - others remove exim and install another MTA - but its
a start.

"Remove stuff" - start with a bare install of Debian text mode - standard
packages only - then remove the stuff you want to. Don't be surprised if
there may be a metapackage or two which appears to remove more than you
think.

The idea of a distribution is to make it relatively easy to install a
subset of common packages that people want: that doesn't mean that everybody
gets exactly what they want first time, but Debian's fairly flexible to
allow you to change elements.

If you think that the distribution is entirely wrong - that's a different
matter, I think. If you started with Slackware 4.0 and that was your first
Linux, then you may well find Debian different enough that it's bothersome
because it "isn't Slackware" - but there's any amount of individual
customisation you can do.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater