Re: 8 -> 9 update changing things

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 11:03:55AM -0500, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> What I'm not clear on at this point is why the instance of it that's started by the system doesn't seem to work, while the one that I start manually at some point later on does.

Pulse Audio is still quite mysterious to me as well.  In fact, I have
the exact opposite experience: if I start Pulse Audio from my .xsession
file (the way I expected it should be done), that one always fails to
work.  Consistently.  100%, every time.  Killing it and restarting it
always gave a working instance.  Again, 100%, every time.

But if I let it start itself automatically on demand, then it works
straight out of the gate with no issues.  So far, anyway!

This is with Debian 11 (and, I think, 'twas the same on version 10
as well), starting X with "startx" from a console, with fvwm and no
desktop environment.

The symptom of the non-working Pulse Audio was a complete lack of
response to everything.  Running "pavucontrol" would give me some
message about not being able to contact the daemon, but I could see it
running in "ps".  Kill, restart, pavucontrol again, and it was all
happy.

Sadly, I don't know enough to offer any helpful advice.  All I can give
you are some questions that you might ask yourself to try to gather