Re: [SOLVED] Re: Firefox: Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead for the USPS.com

On Wed, Jan 05, 2022 at 12:41:23PM -0500, Celejar wrote:

[...]

> The configuration I'm talking about is as follows: the browser makes
> ordinary, unencrypted DNS requests to the Pi-hole, over a trusted
> network

If the browser decides to make the DNS requests over HTTPS (DoH [1],
that's what we are talking about), the DNS server in your Pi-hole doesn't
even get to see those requests.

>         (your LAN, or a VPN). HTTPS isn't necessary here insofar as you
> trust your own network to be secure. (And if you're really worried about
> intruders [...]

No, no. I'm not worried about those things. I'm worried that the
browsers do their own thing to do name lookup so they escape my control
(be it via /etc/hosts, be it via an own DNS server, local or Pi-hole).

> https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/ku0i8k/configuring_dnsoverhttps_on_pihole/

Again: I'm not that much concerned about my lookup's privacy. The
Pi-hole having an option to do DoH lookups is fine. But do I trust my
browser to not do direct DoH lookups all by itself, bypassing my Pi-hole
(or whatever I've set up as a controlled DNS)? What about its next
version?

Cheers

[1] Browser folks have decided that making DNS requests over HTTP(S) is
   much more secure than over the "traditional" avenue. In a way, they
   are right. In another they are horribly wrong-
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_over_HTTPS