Re: [SOLVED] Re: Firefox: Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead for the USPS.com

On Tue 04 Jan 2022 at 19:37:34 (+0100), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2022 at 01:19:37PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > And this is why putting stuff into /etc/hosts is basically never the right
> > answer. :)
>
> Eye, beholder and things. I've got a couple of them like so:
>
>   # Pest:
>   127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com
>   127.0.0.1 ajax.google.com
>   127.0.0.1 ad.doublecklick.net
>   127.0.0.1 www.gstatic.com
>
> Yeah, some things stop working then. I want them to :)

Agreed. I append a list of close to 14,000 addresses (including
comments) to the end of my own local /etc/hosts. I see very
few adverts. In fact, I was quite shocked when I just tried
DNS over HTTPS for a couple of minutes. The 10-day weather
profile that I screenshoot every day was plastered in popups.

Anyone know how to combine DoH with resolving 14,000 addresses
to 127.0.0.1? Also, does that mean that DoH attempts to resolve
my local hosts before consulting /etc/hosts? I didn't stick
around DoH long enough to find out.

Cheers,
David.