Re: [SOLVED] Re: Firefox: Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead for the USPS.com

On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 20:58:27 +0100
<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 04, 2022 at 01:33:18PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> > On Tue 04 Jan 2022 at 19:37:34 (+0100), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > > On Tue, Jan 04, 2022 at 01:19:37PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Eye, beholder and things. I've got a couple of them like so:
> > >
> > >   # Pest:
> > >   127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com
> > >   127.0.0.1 ajax.google.com
> > >   127.0.0.1 ad.doublecklick.net
> > >   127.0.0.1 www.gstatic.com
> > >
> > > Yeah, some things stop working then. I want them to :)
> >
> > Agreed. I append a list of close to 14,000 addresses (including
> > comments) to the end of my own local /etc/hosts. I see very
> > few adverts. In fact, I was quite shocked when I just tried
> > DNS over HTTPS for a couple of minutes. The 10-day weather
> > profile that I screenshoot every day was plastered in popups.
> >
> > Anyone know how to combine DoH with resolving 14,000 addresses
> > to 127.0.0.1? Also, does that mean that DoH attempts to resolve
> > my local hosts before consulting /etc/hosts? I didn't stick
> > around DoH long enough to find out.
>
> No idea. I'd hope for it to be overridable, but I've been disappointed
> by browsers (yes, firefox, I'm looking at you!) before.

One way "to combine DoH with resolving 14,000 addresses to 127.0.0.1"
is by using Pi-hole. Some people have *millions* of domains blacklisted
in Pi-hole:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/rrcmfk/why_am_i_making_a_personal_commitment_to_donating/
https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/7rzdzj/how_many_domains_do_you_have_on_your_setup/
https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/hkfyu4/domains_on_blocklist/

etc.

and using DoH with Pi-hole is well documented:

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/dns/cloudflared/
https://medium.com/codex/pi-hole-and-doh-f1a9f8acd0f7
https://github.com/devopsleigh/pihole

Celejar