Re: Where do I find the definitive man page for mdadm?

On Friday 12 November 2021 12:26:02 Charles Curley wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 12:03:25 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > Thanks Charles. Sounds like a good idea. I'll see if I can get
> > gparted to see them now. It see's it, but its locked, in use by the
> > system even if unmounted.  Now what?
>
> Well, if you are talking Any Smith's (and my) advice, I'd do the
> following:
>
> * Umount the partition on the RAID array.
>
> * Move /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf aside.
>
> * Put partitions on each of the four drives. Don't bother to put a
> file system on any of them.
>
> * Use the same command line you did before, *except* use the
> partitions you just created instead of the drives, to create the RAID
> array.
>
> * Create the LVM stuff you need.

I've only taken one pass at LVM, years ago in early fedora days before I
got tired of running redhats lab-rat software, and it was the cause of
three or so reinstalls and a total loss of all data each time. So I'm
understandably spooky about it.

Is it now dependable enough to use on a one box does it all machine?

> * Lay down an ext4 file system on logical volumes as needed.
>
> * Add the LVs to /etc/fstab as needed.

Thank you Charles.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)