Re: Is "Debian desktop environment" identical to "GNOME" upon installation?

Brian writes:

On Fri 05 Nov 2021 at 17:02:01 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 05, 2021 at 04:04:17PM +0000, Brian wrote:

[...]

> > > Guessing here... because a live version already has a desktop
> > > environment on the disk, so it make sense to default to installing that
> > > one. E.g. if you choose, say, the XFCE live iso, it would default to
> > > XFCE not Gnome. Would be a bit perverse otherwise.

AFAICT it does not only "default" to the DE contained within the live system but rather does not even show the choice screen because it installs by copying/extracting the live system's data and hence, the DE (and other software choices) are already set. See below.

> > I rather thought the Live images contained a copy of d-i but am not
> > going to download an ISO to refresh my menory. I will offer
> >
> > https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live-manual/html/live- > > manual/customizing-installer.en.html
> >
> > I'd see it as a bit unusual for this copy to differ from the regular d-i.

> A few things:

[...]

> 3. The live CDs are designed so that you download the one with the desktop
> you want. The "standard" one installs a minimum Debian with standard > packages and no gui.

OK, but the relevance to the OP's issue is obscure. Does it need to
taken into account for the issue raised?

TL;DR: Live Installers do not present the DE selection screen hence it should not relate to the OP.

> 4. Live CD install is not guaranteed to be the same as the traditional
> Debian installer. Calamares is very significantly different. Live CD/DVD is
> maintained by a different libe CD team and not by the Debian media team.

Ah! Calamares. It alters the way tasksel behaves in d-i? Heaven help us!
Is that is what is meant when it is claimed  by Greg Wooledg:

 With the "Live" installers, the default is different"?

Calamares introduces a new ball game?

[...]

Let me try to clarify this a little bit from my experience as an "advanced" user :)

Calamares is an entirely separate installer that can be invoked from within a running (live) system. It is _one_ way to install Debian from a live system but it is not the only one. It is worth stressing that there is _no_ interaction between Calamares and d-i and that they prsent different screens. Behind the scenes, Calamares invokes an `rsync` to copy the data from within the live system to the target.

For a typical session in Calamares, see [1] for an example from Debian Buster.

Now d-i is separate in that it does not run from within the live system but has to be invoked _instead_ of the respective live system from the boot menu. It is, however, contained on the same ISO image/DVD together with the live system's data. The d-i variant used on live systems does not ask for the choice of DE because its software selection cannot be customized like in the regular d-i. Instead, it simply copies the data from the live file system to the targed drive (? I am not exactly sure on this one ?). See [2] for an example from Debian Buster and note the absence of the tasksel screen.

Now the regular d-i shows the tasksel screen and asks for which DE to install. See [3] for an example from the Debian Bullseye Alpha 3 installer.

Here are some "real screenshots" :)

[1] https://masysma.lima-city.de/37/debian_i386_installation_reports_att/m2-dl1080-i386-lxde-calamares.xhtml

[2] https://masysma.lima-city.de/37/debian_i386_installation_reports_att/m2-dl1080-i386-lxde-di.xhtml

[3] https://masysma.lima-city.de/37/debian_i386_installation_reports_att/m6-d11a3-i386-netinst.xhtml