Re: Is "Debian desktop environment" identical to "GNOME" upon installation?

On Fri, 2021-11-05 at 07:47 -0500, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2021, 7:21 AM Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
>
> > > Is "Debian desktop environment" identical to "GNOME" upon installation?

> > Right now, for the regular official installers (and also for the
> > unofficial installer with non-free firmware), that default task happens
> > to be GNOME.
> >
> > With the "Live" installers, the default is different.
> >

> And if I may ask: Why is it different? If there is a reason or two.

Guessing here... because a live version already has a desktop
environment on the disk, so it make sense to default to installing that
one. E.g. if you choose, say, the XFCE live iso, it would default to
XFCE not Gnome. Would be a bit perverse otherwise.

--
Tixy