Re: Is "Debian desktop environment" identical to "GNOME" upon installation?

On Fri, Nov 05, 2021 at 04:04:17PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 05 Nov 2021 at 13:43:29 +0000, Tixy wrote:

> > > And if I may ask: Why is it different? If there is a reason or two.
> >
> > Guessing here... because a live version already has a desktop
> > environment on the disk, so it make sense to default to installing that
> > one. E.g. if you choose, say, the XFCE live iso, it would default to
> > XFCE not Gnome. Would be a bit perverse otherwise.
>
> I rather thought the Live images contained a copy of d-i but am not
> going to download an ISO to refresh my menory. I will offer
>
>   https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live-manual/html/live-manual/customizing-installer.en.html
>
> I'd see it as a bit unusual for this copy to differ from the regular d-i.

A few things:

1. GNOME is only the default on AMD64 / i386 - on some of the ARM variants,
it's still XFCE, I think.

2. XFCE _was_ the default for a one CD install until Buster - it's now
too big for one CD so there is no longer a CD which will install as
single desktop by default.

3. The live CDs are designed so that you download the one with the desktop
you want. The "standard" one installs a minimum Debian with standard packages
and no gui.

4. Live CD install is not guaranteed to be the same as the traditional
Debian installer. Calamares is very significantly different. Live CD/DVD is
maintained by a different libe CD team and not by the Debian media team.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater